Park Expansion Project
A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity
Imagine yourself in the midst of an ungrazed tallgrass prairie standing on a high hill overlooking the Kansas River Valley. Perched on compass plants, nesting meadowlarks call to each other. A 1,200-year-old Native American burial mound shares the hill with you. You recognize this is a special place.
Down the hillside you see a group of schoolchildren walking in the ruts and swales of an old territorial road, once the westernmost route of the Underground Railroad. Across the road to the north you see an old farmhouse whose living room is a log cabin where fugitive slaves were sheltered. You are standing in the Mount Mitchell Heritage Prairie Park, a 50-acre public Park managed and developed by local residents known as the Mount Mitchell Prairie Guards.
When 125 acres of the former Mitchell farm next to the Park was put up for sale, the Mount Mitchell Prairie Guards recognized a once in a lifetime opportunity to expand their educational mission and protect the Park from commercial and residential development. We signed a contract with the sellers and began raising the $435,000 needed to complete the sale. We are halfway there.
You Can Help
The purchase of the Mitchell farmland will:
- Increase the size of the Mount Mitchell Heritage Prairie grassland by more than fifty per-cent.
- Protect a historic site nationally recognized by the US Park Service as making a “significant contribution to the understanding of the Underground Railroad in American history.”
- Protect a Native American sacred site.
- Preserve ruts and swales of the Topeka-Fort Riley Road used by the Underground Railroad.
- Make it possible to increase our recreational trails.
- Provide the Park with a site and utilities for the future construction of a Visitor’s Center.
- Protect farmland from commercial and residential development.
- Add to the quality of life in the region.
- Enhance the economic development possibilities of the Wamego area.
- Please support the expansion of the Mount Mitchell Heritage Prairie Park with a donation by clicking on the DONATE link.
- The Prairie Guards are a 501(c) (3) charitable organization. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Checks may be sent to PO Box 136, Wamego, KS 66547